Event Planning Steps, Tips & Checklist
Have you ever had the chance to attend a wedding, birthday party, or business event agency where everything was just absolutely perfect? And do you know what I mean by that?
I mean, the people who came dressed beautifully, the food was great, the entertainment was hilarious, and everything else was absolutely perfect.
On the other hand, if you were at a wedding, business event, or other such occasion where everything was just terrible, and the food sucked, the music was lame, and the entertainment was boring, you probably would have had a bad time.
In this article, I’m going to give you some handy tips, steps, and checklists for planning a wedding, business event, or other such occasion. This way, you can avoid making the same mistakes that other people made at previous events.
So if you want to plan an event that is perfect, then read on…
What Is an Event Plan?
The execution of an event is outlined in the event plan. It covers all aspect of an event, including the start and end dates, the money, the location, the marketing, the participants, and more.
Depending on the scale of the event, the scope and complexity of the event plan may change, but the underlying difficulties always exist. Most of us, whether at home, at business, or in their community, have some experience organizing events. Let’s concentrate on major events for this essay.
Planning an Event
Most of us, whether at home, at business, or in their community, have some experience organizing events. Let’s keep the article’s attention on substantial happenings.
A conference is a typical example of a big event, so let’s talk about a TEDx conference we were a part of to show how to prepare an event for our event management objectives. This situation serves as an effective illustration of the organization and difficulties involved in event preparation.
Key Elements of Event Planning
When organizing an event, the date should be taken into account first. That serves as a permanent anchor. Additionally, you should make an estimation of the attendance. These two important factors will serve as a guide for the other areas of your event planning.
Let’s examine the other elements of event planning in more detail. Below is a summary of them:
- Event: It goes without saying that you must first have an event to prepare. There will be a number of obligations related to the operations, legal, and accounting of that event.
- Create a budget by estimating all of your event’s expenses. Numerous event management choices, including your venue, the marketing and promotion strategies, etc., will be influenced by your available budget.
- Location: The event must take place in a specific location, which requires planning for logistics, catering, and décor.
- Marketing: After choosing a location, you must begin attracting visitors to it through a marketing program that may include a website, a social media campaign, emails, and print materials.
- Advertising: Advertising goes hand in hand with marketing. This can include commercials from radio, television, newspapers, and magazines.
- Volunteers: To get started and run well, a large event requires a large team of people. That entails hiring volunteers, which calls for creating contracts, laying out their responsibilities, organizing meetings, and creating schedules.
- Speakers: In order to draw an audience, you must have a keynote speaker or a panel of speakers. Contracts, curators to choose the talent, a program, biographies, and rehearsals will all be required.
- Sponsors: Because of the high expense of everything mentioned above, sponsors provide the event’s budget. Again, contracts, marketing, and logistics will be involved.
- Production: As you work to make an audio-visual recording of the events as well as a sound and video broadcast during the event, you’ll need to create contracts.
- Stage: The event will be presented on a stage that is located on the location where it will be held. A projector, screen, microphones, internet connection, batteries, connections, and other equipment are typically included.
- Attendees: Please keep in mind the attendees of the event! You’ll require communications to let people know about the event, payment systems to collect admission costs, email systems to keep in touch, instructions, badges, and access points.
Event Planning Steps
We’ve just covered a lot about event planning, so let’s break it down into actionable actions. You may arrange an event successfully by following these steps. Let’s keep using the conference as an example.
- Step 1: Determine your event’s aims and objectives
- Step 2: Put your team together
- Step 3: Create an event budget
- Step 4: Decide on the date and location
- Step 5. Choose the speakers
- Step 6: Promotion of the event
- Step 7: Execute your event
Your event strategy will appear much less overwhelming when you divide it up into smaller, more achievable parts. When creating your event strategy, there are a few more considerations to bear in mind.
Event Planning Tips
Unfortunately, there will always be factors beyond your control, such as inclement weather, sluggish deliveries, technical issues, and other unexpected hiccups. Since you cannot modify the date of your event, you should be as ready as you can be for any dangers or problems that can arise on the day of your event.
Event Planning Checklist
When organizing an event, there are many things to keep in mind, therefore it’s crucial to make a list of everything your event management strategy has to include. A general event planning check list is provided below to assist you in getting started. The better your event checklist, the more questions you should be asking. Add any additional duties and obligations that are particular to you.
Goals and Objectives
- What is the purpose of your event?
- What objectives do you expect this event to accomplish?
- What are the goals for revenue?
- What group do you want to appeal to?
- How many guests are expected?
- Is there a fee for purchasing tickets, and if so, what is it?
- Where is the gathering taking place?
- Make a timetable of the events.
- Determine what they will cost.
- Use an old budget as a starting point and make adjustments if you held similar events.
- What kind of registration and ticketing software will be used?
- Complete the sponsorship payments.
- A fixed ticket price.
Date & Venue
- What time will the event happen?
- Plan a fallback date in case things go wrong.
- Is the venue ideal for the event?
- Is the location suitable for the amount of guests you anticipate?
- Choose the necessary facilities, such as wifi, capacity, restrooms, and proximity to restaurants and shops.
- Get a caterer.
- Secure the necessary equipment.
- What kind of security do you need?
- Do you require any licenses, permits, or insurance?
- Make a communication strategy for attendees and event signage.
- design approval.
- Update the website or create a new one.
- Verify the website can manage the anticipated load.
- Have a website that is responsive to mobile devices.
Event Marketing & Advertising
- What are you trying to say?
- synchronize with online resources and social media channels.
- calendars online by adding the event.
- Promotional blog postings, videos, and online advertisements for a market event.
- Two to three months before to the event, send out reminders to all parties.
Finalizing, Last Steps
- Speakers and scripts
Event Planning Pro Tips
There is a significant demand for project management software that has the appropriate capabilities for event management because there is so much to coordinate and plan. With the help of an automated alert system, you may manage expenses and tasks through a single interface. Additionally, it provides a platform for communication and collaboration that eliminates the need for pointless emails. Software consolidates all of your information into one location and streamlines team reporting by increasing productivity and decreasing stress.
Who has been working with us?
What do our clients say about 24Owls?
Don’t spend your time and money on an unsuccessful grand opening, be hassle-free and ended up with great results by working with 24Owls. Let’s work together. Contact us here.